Winter break and Ticki

Now that the hardware for the clock is pretty much all done (the temperature sensor should be here soon), I have been mainly just working on the firmware. Part of the trouble with this project is timing of the processes. Because the LEDs are multiplexed, display functions have to be refreshed every 2ms or so….

FML… or maybe not

Why am I posting at 4 am you ask? So I finished the hardware aspect of the clock, nicknamed “Ticki”. I wrote a few lines to test out the display. One of the LED segments was out. #@%&!!!!!! I was in shock. Especially since all the soldering were done. I guess I learned a valuable…

Thing of beauty

Went to the prototyping lab after my last exam yesterday and finished the front acrylic panel for the clock. All that was left was soldering the 20 some wires in the most confined space possible. Not to mention the wires were from a 10-strand cable so were as stiff as hell. I also did not…

Hardware mode

I realized that for the past few weeks I have just been working on the hardware side of my projects. There is a reason for that. Studying for finals usually entails a ton of reading, both paper materials and online notes. My eyes were less than pleased with the amount of white they see everyday….

Hazardous to my health

As Sam has mentioned, I find myself soldering away even though my thermo final was less than 12 hours away. Aside from the mental toll of circuit projects, I often find myself breathing in more than the desirable amount of solder fumes and pcb dust. I am sorry lungs, I will let you recover this…

10 resistors behind one little display

In the interest of saving space and having less mess. I sandwiched the ten resistors needed for the segmented LEDs between the perf board and the display. I chose to use 10 1k resistors from my 333 labs that I had. Anyways, here it is (as well as what the board and rear DC jack…

My first clock

Now that the electrical exam is over, I have dedicated some more time to the clock project. Unfortunately, this project will be a small one, with the focus on compactness and aesthetics. Another goal was to hand solder and reuse as much parts as possible (mainly LEDs and capacitors). So far I have the main…

Hectic week

So I have four finals in six days this week. On the bright side, I received my order from SpikenzieLabs. The RTC module worked flawlessly so a clock project is definitely on the horizon. The Octobrite, on the other hand, is a disaster. I have a feeling that the TI controller chip is fried or…

More open source software

Worked on the Mendel a bit tonight and cut the belt to width on the hardware side of things (pictures to be posted on the Hackingston blog). On the softer side, I installed python (for the second time, as I had tried to learn it during first year), psyco (no idea what it does, other…

Initial thoughts about Eagle

I have been told that eagle had a pretty steep learning curve and I have to agree after working with it for two days. Part of the trouble with this editor for hobbyists is how comprehensive it is. In terms of schematics, there are thousands of parts in the libraries for you to rummage through….

A robot with feelings

I finished the coding for the platform to send its sensor reading (currently just the URM37 ultrasonics module) and decided to add the bumpers for “feeling” its surroundings. They will serve no purpose as of now but will eventually be implemented to prevent the platform from driving continuously into a wall (whether controlled or autonomous)….

Menu and battery level

The menu is now done and I may put a video of it in action when I finish the platform sensor setup. One of the things that I have wanted for the monitor was to have a status page that shows information on itself and one of the things was battery level. Measuring a voltage…