Easier said than done

I put the first coat of navy blue on the box, and it looks good. There was a bit of over spray on the back that I might have to sand off, but I will decide that later. I started to work on the handle. The strap idea was good, but the sewing just made…

Some pictures of progress

I went and picked up some spray paint for the project. I went with a oil-based rust paint in navy blue and aluminium silver. I think that will be a good combo (matches the grey straps) with the box blue and the front panel silver. I got around to taking a few pictures of the…

Just another weekly update

So I made the front panel today (the basic outline of it without holes for the posts/buttons/fan/display). The order for all the needed hardware and electronics was placed (all except the variable voltage regulator, which I have back at home). I will worry about the variable voltage output later I guess. The MDF is easy…

Looks like power supply is a go!

I took a look at what I thought would be a good enclosure for the power supply, but it is a bit too small (I suppose that it is possible to fit everything in there, but it will probably require more soldering and tricky wiring). Instead, I grabbed a Transducer Amplifier that was scrapped by…

More projects?

Now that the semester is coming to a close and most midterms (I can’t believe I still have one more left) are over, I am finally free to think about new projects. I picked up a few project boxes and is considering building a nice bench top power supply. I have a nice angled aluminium…

Mixed feelings

So I found out today that there is a good chance that Mechatronics will not be offered as a course next year. The reason was a lack of funding, which to me seems like an excuse for pretty much anything academic nowadays. To me, mechatronics embodies what we do as mechanical engineers, now more than…

A day of relaxation

Last week was hectic and I am glad it is finally over. I had a great time on Saturday at the GW reunion dinner and then the science fair. I came second place this year, losing to what is probably the most epic project seen at the science fair to date, a “beer pong” cabinet…

A drunk robot

Last year, I submitted a robot bartender for the science fair and it was well received. I guess alcohol and robots are a good pair so I decided to focus in a similar vein this year. The title of my project is Bender’s Son. As those of you familiar with the show Futurama knows, Bender…

A terrible start

So I machined out the top deck yesterday and everything was on schedule. I was going to take a large chunk out of the programming part tonight and start refining it tomorrow, but thing did not go as planned. The plan was to reuse pieces of the mobile platform code to reconstruct a leaner one…

Rush to the finish

As I have mentioned in the previous post, due to part shipping delays I will be submitting a different project for the science fair. Since I only have a few days to build this and still wants a quality project, I have decided to reused a lot of hardware and software that I have already….

A busy Sunday

Another rather productive Sunday started off with some weekly grocery shopping, lunch, and epic wood and foam cutting. I cut the windows for the panel and also fitting the backing, glued it up and left for GW. After 6 fun hours of drawing at GW, I called up my bud CM and carried the light…

Wood and glue

Today I went to the shop with my friend CM and we started cutting the composite board that I bought into the right sizes for the light panel. There must have been at least 40 pieces cut in total to achieve the 3D layered effect that I was aiming for. After the pieces were cut,…