A different direction

Now that school has started to pick up again (actually it is already at full steam), I did more research on the light panel. Pure luck has it, I found these MSGEQ7 ICs that would be great for the VU meter side of the project. To further simplify things, I also grabbed a electret microphone…

Solid progress

I can’t believe how far I’d managed to go in one day. I wired up a 3×3 LED matrix and started testing some codes. I made sure that the coding is expandable for bigger matrices so that I could easily modify it for my light panel. I used the 2D array method for update the…

New territory

So I started writing the test codes for the matrix and sure enough, found myself lost in a whole new game. There are several ways to address a LED matrix. You can store frames in byte arrays and call them up (much like a animation) or address each LED in a matrix (turnledon[x,y] for example)….

A city of lights

I went out and purchased some building supplies for the light panel. It was decided that the panel will have a 6×8 LED matrix on it and constructed out of composite board and foam. The layout of the panels and LEDs can be seen in the picture below. This project will be a lot different…

A much needed break

Spring break for us is this coming week and I will finally have some time to get cracking on the LED panel. Recently, I have been swamped with assignments and midterms (even a interview to boot), so I did not want the project to distract me from school work too much. I have another midterm…

Tokyo LED bar

So I have settled on a 6×8 LED matrix (14pins) for the bar display. I purchased some white LEDs off dealextreme for dirt cheap at 10 cents each. The reason I did not go for a full RGB matrix is mainly time and money (what else, really?). With the Arduino and various other hardware/supplies, I…

VU meter

So I have decided on a VU meter for the bar table. I did some quick searches online for ideas and it seems that most projects only measure the overall volume. This might be a problem as I do not know the average volume of the room during the formal, so I will have to…

Light effects

I have been trying to come up with some neat light effects for the Tokyo themed room I am designing for Sci’formal, but so far only the expected reactive LEDs come to mind. There are a few constraints that I will have to deal with. The biggest one is cost. I will be fronting this…

Minor update to Ticki

Ticki has been sitting at a corner of my desk and blinking away for a few days now and so far everything appears to be stable and desired. The “reset to 0 seconds” in the code is a bit of an annoyance as every time you cycle through the modes to check the temperature, the…

Add technology to your traditional trading card game.

Now that Ticki is done, I have time to work on more school related projects as well as revisit some of my old projects. I pulled out a project I started in September from under my bed and reworked it to be an electronics game score keeper for Magic The Gathering (a trading card game)….

50th post! Ticki is finally finished!

I promise you I did not plan to finish Ticki right around the same time I post my 50th, but a package with a new RTC arrived yesterday and it just seemed right. I am really happy with how the final product turned out, but I still have more ideas for the future, so Ticki…

Backburner

With all the extra activities happening this week and next week, all my electronics projects will be on hiatus for the time being. I will get back on track after my new RTC gets here in the next week or so. Meanwhile I will be working on some interior design bids for my formal next…